Contains whereas clauses. Amends Chapter 19A of the General Statutes by adding Article 7, GS 19A-80 which does the following:
(1) Prohibits the sale or lease (or the offer of) of cats or dogs for family, personal, or household use when the offer to sell or lease includes a provision authorizing the use of the cat or dog as security where the cat or dog can be repossessed by the seller or lessor contingent on the purchaser making payments;
(2) Excludes from this prohibition: agreements to lease pure-bread dogs for breeding, agreements to use a cat or dog in spectator events or entertainment media, agreements related to service animals, and agreements related to security or police/military dogs;
(3) Makes it a Class 2 misdemeanor to violate this prohibition;
(4) Establishes that violation of this prohibition constitutes and unfair and deceptive trade practice in violation of GS 75-1.1 (declaring certain unfair and deceptive practices affecting commerce unlawful); and
(5) Provides that contracts violating this prohibition are null and void.
Effective December 1, 2021, and applies to contracts entered into and offenses committed on or after that date.
Status: Ref to the Com on Agriculture, if favorable, Families, Children, and Aging Policy, if favorable, Wildlife Resources, if favorable, Marine Resources and Aqua Culture, if favorable, Judiciary 1, if favorable, Judiciary 2, if favorable, Judiciary 3, if favorable, Judiciary 4, if favorable, Regulatory Reform, if favorable, Rules, Calendar, and Operations of the House (House action) (May 5 2021)
Bill H 849 (2021-2022)Summary date: May 5 2021 - More information