Printer-friendly: Click to view
  • Summary date: Mar 6 2023 - View Summary

    Amends GS 115C-302.10, which governs education-based salary supplements for teachers and support personnel. Expands the classes of teachers and instructional support personnel who can be paid on the “M” salary schedule or receive a salary supplement for academic preparation at the six-year degree level or at the doctoral degree level by establishing a new qualifying class that requires the teachers to spend at least 70% of their work time in classroom instruction related to their graduate preparation in their field or subject area within their area of licensure and the other 30% in one or more of the four specified forms of teacher or curricula development. Requires these teachers' salary schedule and supplement determinations to be made on an annual basis. Excludes those with an advanced degree in school administration unless qualified under the second or third described classes set forth in existing law. Makes organizational changes.

    Appropriates $6.8 million in recurring funds from the General Fund to the Department of Public Instruction for 2023-24 to provide the authorized salary supplements.

    Effective July 1, 2023, and applies beginning with the 2023-24 school year.