Bill Summaries: S59 (2021)

  • Summary date: Feb 4 2021 - View summary
    1. Amends GS 115C-302.10, which governs education-based salary supplements for teachers and support personnel. Restricts those teachers and instructional support personnel who can be paid on the “M” salary schedule or receive a salary supplement for academic preparation at the six-year degree level or at the doctoral degree level for the 2021-22 school year (was, for the 2014-15 school year) and subsequently thereafter to: (1) certified school nurses and instructional support personnel in positions that require a master’s degree for licensure; (2) teachers and instructional support personnel who were paid on that salary schedule or received that salary supplement prior to the 2014-15 school year; (3) teachers and instructional support personnel who complete a degree at the master’s, six-year or doctoral level with at least one course completed prior to August 1, 2013, and who have qualified for the salary supplement under the specified State Board policy that was in effect on June 30, 2013; and (4) other teachers who spend at least 70% of their work time in classroom instruction related to their graduate preparation in their field or subject area within their area of licensure and the other 30% on one of the specified topics, with this class of teachers salary schedule and supplement determinations made on an annual basis. Now more broadly qualifies that the restrictions provided govern notwithstanding any other provision of law, rather than a specified Session Law provision. Excludes those with an advanced degree in school administration, unless qualified under the second or third described classes. Makes organizational changes.

    Appropriates $6.8 million in recurring funds from the General Fund to the Department of Public Instruction for 2021-22 to provide the authorized salary supplements.

    Effective July 1, 2021.